For all those workaholics – or those who have a partner who works all hours- this may be something of a revelation – its not being successful that makes you happy – its being happy that makes you successful.
Scientific studies (putting people into a positive or negative frame of mind and then testing their reactions to different situations) show that people in a positive frame of mind tend to
- Talk to others more – and to reveal more information about themselves (the self-disclosure necessary for forming close friendships
- Be more interested in leisure activities – going out for a meal, having a party or going on holiday
- Get more pleasure from social interactions
- Get on better with other people, resolving conflicts and collaborating rather than competing
- Help others more and being more generous with time and money
- Feel healthier and feel less pain
- Be more creative –thinking with originality and an open mind
- Have more confidence in their own abilities
So perhaps as well as striving for more success we should all work on being happy – and just see what happens……………..